Sunday, September 7, 2008

I want a house upon the rock.

Obviously we made it through Hanna. She was definitely nothing that we needed to be overly worried about as we have thunderstorms much worse than Hanna. And for the record, she never jumped past those 45 mph gusts. Which I'm definitely not complaining about. I'm actually thanking the good Lord. See, that's the thing with hurricanes, one can never be sure on the destruction they may or may not bring. I definitely believe we dodged a bullet. Had Hanna landed here today, I think we would have had a much different system on our hands, as it was an extremely HUMID day. We also were spared a brutal hit because Hanna literally made a B-line through our yard. Our neighborhood or 'town' saw the most damages and power outages- (although they were few and far between) within the surrounding area. I can't say for sure what we would have done had it been a Category 3 storm hitting us, I wonder if our house would have withstood the possible damages from winds that high. I also think to myself, what would we have done in such a situation like that as Hugo, Andrew or Katrina. It has both of us thinking more and more about a future move back to our mountain hometown. So much for having a little beach bum as a baby. But, hey what's that song 'The wise man built his house upon the rock, house upon the rock...." There maybe more truth and wisdom in that song, if it was ever doubted before.

1 comment:

Becky said...

Glad you made it through safely! This time of year must be scary living right by the ocean, although I bet it's beautiful the rest of the year.