Thursday, September 4, 2008

Who's Environment is this, Anyway?

I really can't take the Republican Convention, but I'm trying to get through it. I feel like their speech writers watched what worked for the Democratic convention and just changed it around for themselves. Let's not even talk about Palin...I mean, please a pit bull with lipstick? Too bad I'm not a fan of pit bulls. I would rather work for change than fight for change.

One of the blogs I follow, Crunchy Chicken brought up that she believed McCain and Palin were the biggest threat to the environment. Whoa...that's a big statement, but I do think it's a warranted one- I mean can we really live with another 4 years without agreeing on a Global Climate Policy? Shouldn't we be protecting the environment before caring to go back into a war? Or whether the woman next door is having an abortion? Or whether taxes get raised or not?

To me these things won't matter when our air and water isn't clean or when we have torrential storms, no Amazon or polar caps and more diseases to worry about.

Which leads me to another issue, another iceberg (this time the size of Manhattan has broken off). I hope everyone understands the impact this can have (it directly influences the way in which our whole world's climate works). In my opinion this really does matter.

I guess it boils down to whether or not we want to create a better place for our children to live in or if we want to leave the earth a better place than when we were here. I think those are important things in the eyes of God. No?

Maybe I have it all wrong, but I think we should be able to live and work together without war, be green, find spirituality, educate our children, have moral character, care for the greater good and still prosper as a people- all at the same time. Ok, so maybe I'm a transcendentalist.

This really wasn't intended to be about the election or the environment (it simply found its way out), so please forgive me. My real intentions were our anxiousness with wondering where Ike is heading. We have Hanna headed our way now, carrying not much of a threat- but, a pain as we wait to see what Ike might bring if it is to follow Hanna's footsteps. It's akin to hurricane Isabel in its track thus far. Likewise, it's a horrible Category 4 right now! Which could spell major trouble for anyone in its wake. What's even worse, it will be arriving to the U.S. at the peak of Hurricane season, September 10th.

We are prepared, however have decided to only stay if it is below a Category 2 Hurricane. Since both Bryan and I have been through hurricanes before, we know the impact they can bring. We won't be taking the same chances we once did as 'young adults'. It's funny, how bravery and reasoning evolve into cautious sanity once you have children. The bottomline is that we are privy to the environment and really should start respecting it.

Please say a small prayer for the Bahamas, the Gulf and the East coast this week. : )

3 comments:

Becky said...

I feel so lucky to have the Republican National Convention here in my town (that was sarcastic). It can't be over soon enough.

How scary that you are in the path of the hurricanes! I really hope that the hurricane winds down before it has the chance to cause any damage.

I know what you mean about not taking the chances you used to. Although we don't have the threat of hurricanes, we do have tornadoes and I am much more likely now to run to the basement at the first darkening of the sky. Everything changes when you have children to protect.

C. Beth said...

So glad you're not taking chances with the hurricanes. Please stay safe. :)

Unknown said...

amen sista!