Thursday, July 10, 2008

The Etiquette of Blog Comments

Amuse me for just a moment. I am having a time figuring out exactly how I return blog comments after someone has commented on one of my blogs. Is there a proper etiquette or rule to the way it should be done? For example, if someone left a comment on my page, should I leave a comment after that one or if I wanted to comment on their own blog, should I just leave my return comment from my own blog with the blog comment I want to leave for them on their blog or should I put it all under my blog comment and hope they look back there again? It's a bit confusing, isn't? If anyone can tell me, I would appreciate it because I want to be sure I'm on the same page. Oh, the things that fill my brain these days...

4 comments:

C. Beth said...

Yes, this is tough! If I have the person's e-mail address sometimes I just e-mail them, but then the response isn't there for others to read. Usually I just respond with a comment of my own and hope that they come back to check it. I'll come back here to see if you've responded to this. ;) And I responded to a couple of your comments on my blog today so be sure to check it! :D

Becky said...

I've often wondered the same thing. I tend to email the person back directly if I have their email address, otherwise I put the response on their blog. I don't think I've ever left a comment on my own blog, although a lot of authors do that. I think it's personal preference!

Personally, I am terrible about remembering to go back to someone's blog to see if they posted a response to my comment. Which is probably why I don't respond that way.

Bri said...

I just recently started replying on my own blog... I like the idea of adding it in a comment on their blog though. That way they are for sure to read it. And maybe if its a question they had you could post it on your blog too incase others were wondering the same thing.

Mommy Vern said...

I like posting follow-ups to comments- especially as Bri mentioned, this way if a question is asked it gets answered and others can see it too. But, I do think maybe posting on the other blogger's page works too...but only if it doesn't hijack the post and maybe only if the content is similar. So I guess its a little of both!

I'm so glad to get your opinions. I meant to get back to this particular comment immediately, of course Garrett has had other plans for the last few days!