Friday, July 11, 2008

Houston, We have a problem.

It appears that Garrett has decided to give his daddy a run for his money. While I have been at work the last few days, Garrett has been refusing his bottle. Apparently, he throws one heck of a fit and literally cries himself into submission. This lasts for a good thirty minutes according to Bryan. I caught the action the last two days by coming home while he was 'trying' to be fed. I even tried myself, but as soon as he hears or sees me, his true temper hits the fan and he lets his wishes be known.

Upset in hearing him in such distress, I have two options, either pump and waste more liquid gold on a baby that refuses a bottle or I can succumb to his tantrums and give him the much anticipated ninny. I did that all 3 times this week and in total we dumped 3 ounces of liquid gold. On Monday, we dumped 2 1/2 ounces because Bryan could only get him to eat 2 1/2 out of the normal 5 ounces he takes. We dumped it because usually its impossible to get him to take it once I am home and then if I do give it to him, we miss a breastfeeding session. Thursday, I rushed home to make sure we didn't waste more liquid gold, but Bryan was a CHAMPION and made a bottle that only consisted of 2 1/2 ounces.

Today, I came home before Bryan was able to coax Garrett into eating, which left another 2 ounces that would have to be tossed. I wasn't having any of that. So, after getting Garrett down for his catnap by breastfeeding him, I schemed my way into a plan. I would feed him again by bottle, but this time I would use the Playtex Drop-in that my mother (Nana) gave us. (The same said bottle that I was not having anything to do with when my mom insisted he would like it better than the ones we had. But, I ALREADY have 20,000 bottles I have no clue what to do with and now she wants me to what? Get a NEW bottle.) Yeah, I was going to use that bottle.

Three hours later, like clockwork, Garrett was showing signs of sleepiness and was ready for his 'real' afternoon nap. I decided to feed him 'the bottle' in the living room and then I would breastfeed him in the bedroom.

It went something like this:

Me- "Here sweetie, only 2 ounces of liquid gold, I know you can do it for Momma!"

Garrett gives a shear look of disgust and disappointment but manages to suck on the bottle's nipple anyway. He seems to be testing it out. He realizes it is not the same bottle as this morning yet isn't for sure what it is. Shows signs of knowing it is not his ninny.

Me- "This is the only bottle you have to have until, well....tomorrow. It's mommy's milk. You can do it little guy, it's not that bad."

Garrett then gulps a few times and opens his mouth and acts as if he is going to gag.

Me- "Sweetie pie, you're doing so good. Just another half an ounce and we're done."

Garrett pushes the 'artificial nipple' out of his mouth, furrows his brow and turns his head as if to say, "I'm done now."


Me- "Sigh."


The bottle my mom gave us does seem to work better. I guess we need to go get some drop-ins for Bryan and hope that Garrett starts liking a bottle again. My mom is heading to visit this Wednesday, so here's hoping she has some magical plan to help him conform. At least for Bryan's sake that is. (Oh and Bryan just now told me that Garrett routinely acts like this while he feeds him with a bottle...for two months now!!!) Poor Bryan.

I've always heard of babies refusing the breast after introducing the bottle, not the other way around!

No comments: