Thursday, July 3, 2008

Pumping is for the COWS!

A man must have created this odd suctioning contraption! For no woman in their right mind would have created anything that looks so sightly. A woman would have at least created it hands free. I hear they do make a bra now specifically for a pump...which, I'm sure was invented by a woman!

So, the first time I tried the sucker on (no pun intended) I literally couldn't stop laughing- I wasn't for sure if it was the sight or sensation, either way it wasn't one of joy.

Of course, now it seems commonplace. Heck, I can even do it in the front seat of my car in a full parking lot or in the backseat of a moving vehicle as cars pass by and neither phase me.

Although, it is a godsend, especially in light of my issues when Garrett was only 2 weeks old. I rather wish it wasn't necessary. (For those of you who don't know, I landed a staph UTI infection (MRSA) courteous of our hospital and their wonderful job delivering Garrett) Let me quickly elaborate: because of the infection, I was forced to take antibiotics for 9 days. The antibiotics I needed were too strong for Garrett since he was under a month old, which meant I had to PUMP and DUMP.

PUMPING and DUMPING is pure EVIL. Why, well because breast milk is liquid gold, especially when its coming out of your own boobs and especially when you have already established breastfeeding with your baby! At the time, I was miserable (read HORMONAL and very very Postpartum) I cried at the drop of a hat. So imagine the flood waters when I had to feed my baby formula and still had to pump and see my milk be p-p-p-p-ooooo-uuu--rrrr---eee---ddd down the drain. I shutter now, even thinking about it.

Luckily, we both got through the ordeal, but not without a couple of minor issues. Because I needed antibiotics immediately, Garrett was abruptly removed from my breast and given a bottle. You can imagine how upset he was, I'm positive he sensed how insanely distraught his mommy was given the situation too. After the antibiotics ran their course, I resumed breastfeeding- however, being so eager to get back to my baby, we didn't ween him off the formula. This inevitably lead to another week of painful poo (we wrecked havoc on the poor little guy's stomach). What's more, Garrett was afraid that he might loss the boob again and became a CLING-ON. Therefore, week 3-6 of his life were very very emotional and dungeon-ness. He refused to be anywhere but at my breast or he screamed bloody murder. He has finally let go of this tendency but still requires the 'NINNY' in order to go to sleep. (NINNY a.k.a. BOOB)

Now as you can imagine, pumping really annoys me. Because although, it did help me keep my supply...it did dwindle some too. Pumping and dumping was hard to do while trying to feed him at the same time or at least in the same intervals, all while Bryan was working 14 hour days and no one was around! I'm not throwing a pity party over here, I'm just saying it was out of the ordinary and difficult given the circumstances.

The point to my blog, wasn't about going into my ordeal, but rather to explain the irritating device and the upkeep of keeping it clean and having to deal with bottles. I really can't stand it. When all I really need to do, is give my boy the ninny and life is good. Ahh, if only it were that easy. Since I am working again, I have to pump about twice a day to keep up my supply and some days I'm lazy because its a pain in the A@# to haul the contraption to work and stop what I am doing and go to the vehicle and pump in 100 degree weather! (It usually takes 40 minutes, just because I have to cool the car down first or I'm sweating like a pig!) And that's what drives me crazy, I could be home and not going to all this trouble, I could be feeding him myself and then I remember all the different reasons I am pumping and I realize this is what being a mother is.

I guess it could be worse and I could be pumping as I work. Poor cows.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here is the strap I used when I had to pump for 5weeks when Emily was little. I remember the liquid gold and can't even imagine throwing it away!!!!
http://store.babycenter.com/product/breastfeeding/breast+pump+accessories/made+by+moms+pumping+band.do
Talk about feeling like a cow-but I was able to use the computer without holding on!!

Mommy Vern said...

Yeah it was definitely a challenge, now I crench at the thought of discarding leftover bottles when Bryan keeps him!! Thanks for the link, I'm going to get one of those for sure- especially since I am going to breastfeed for a year if possible!

Becky said...

Your little guy is a-DOR-able! It seems like just yesterday that my 2 1/2-year-old was that small. It's unbelievable how fast it goes.

I think the saying "crying over spilled milk" probably originated when a pumping mom first knocked over one of her bottles of liquid gold. A couple of months ago, my husband got in big trouble for forgetting two (!) full bottles of breastmilk in my daughter's diaper bag, which I didn't find until two days later. Of course, I had to dump it down the sink and I was just sick about it for days afterward.

And I had to laugh about your description of being able to pump anytime, anywhere, with no second thoughts. I always pumped at the park & ride after getting off the bus, and one time a teenage girl happened upon me when she was putting some advertisements on the windshields of the cars in the parking lot. Poor thing was horribly embarrassed to witness that, but I was just mildly annoyed at being disturbed, LOL.