Tuesday, July 22, 2008

A little love from my kitchen to yours

Recipes are such an experiment and I love experimenting with new foods and new flavors! I made this recipe for Banana Bread on Sunday and wanted to share it with everyone. I have to admit this is my first attempt at Banana Bread. To my delight, both Bryan and my mom seemed to enjoy it. (At least, they say they did.)

I would recommend using more bananas and to make sure they are a bit overripe, as this adds to the flavor and I didn't think the bread had enough banana flavor for myself. After I made the bread, I took a peak at other banana bread recipes online for comparison and after checking them out, will next time add cinnamon and I might also try chocolate chips or walnuts, too. Unfortunately, I was out of walnuts and didn't think of using cinnamon or chocolate chips until after it was made. I used a recipe for a crunch topping from an old recipe book and have included it, as well.

So, here ya' go!

BANANA BREAD

1 3/4 cup self rising flour
2/3 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/3 cup shortening (I also added 3 tbs. of butter...I know, talk about fattening!)
1 tbs vanilla
2 tbs ginger
1 cup of bananas -mashed

(I used a mixer, but next time I think I will mash them with a whisk or fork and then mix everything by hand. Because, I think the mixer may have over-mixed and left the bread not having 'enough' of a banana taste-it was either this or I didn't use enough bananas.)

Grease and flour loaf pan. Mix all ingredients together until they form a batter like mixture. Pour evenly into loaf pan. Mix crunch topping ingredients together and spread on top of bread. Bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees.

For a crunch topping:
(optional)

1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup or 1/2 stick of butter or margarine, melted
3/4 tbs of cinnamon

Hope you give the recipe a try and like it!! If you do try the recipe, I would LOVE to hear what you do differently and how you think it turns out!

1 comment:

Shannon said...

I have some bananas that desperately need to be cooked with or put out of their misery! Thanks for the recipe!