Sunday, July 6, 2008

What are the words Teething, Ninny, Canadian, Gripe Water and Parabens all doing in the same sentence?

Someone doesn't want me to post tonight! I am having one thing after another occur and the thing is my brain is running WILD with topics!! Go figure, by tomorrow morning they will be gone and of course after all my typing tonight, its liable to disappear as soon as I hit that orange button with pride Publish Post. For a quick instance all will be lost. I really hate that you can't cut, copy and paste on their composer. It really does blow.

So anywho, looks as if Garrett really is teething! I put my finger in his mouth yesterday to feel (as he was quite moody the entire day and without a fever, I figured there had to be some other explanation) and guess what I felt to my astonishment, still under the gums no less, but unmistakeably there...teeth sprouting!!

They were on both sides, not in the middle like the 'experts' say, but rather the ones that are beside the front two and on the bottom gums. Which makes sense that this is where they are because he will take his tongue and place it on either side and chew it for a good 30 minutes at a time. He's been preforming this act for oh about a month now. At first I thought he was exploring his tongue and seeing what it could do. But, the more I watch and well, anytime I place the pacifier in his mouth, he immediately pushes it to the side (of course, that's after his initial "What is this? I hope you don't think you can pull a fast one on me" face.)

The pacifier never seems to last very long either. Unless I insert my finger into the backing. We use the soothie from the hospital. At of all the pacifiers we ended up with its the only one he'll take for more than one minute at a time. Yes we have a very particular baby. He prefers the ninny.

Speaking of which...Lord the child would not go to sleep to save his life without having the ninny either in his mouth or within arm's reach! I actually thought I was doing good, he had his bath and was pretty tired afterwards (as he tries to swim and gets very excited while bathing). So I brought him down to bed and nursed him. He was out for a good 30 minutes and then boom, he cries! I should have known really. I mean if he sleeps for 30 with me beside him he's out for at least 2-4 hours, but if I move before the 30 minutes is up, then he becomes a little gremlin. (I just realized I started typing and forgot to clarify that I nurse in bed laying down)

Anyway, by gremlin I mean the cute and fuzzy Magwi because he does this head shake along with a funny face that says, "Give me that Ninny" in search of my boob, then starts moving his arms frantically in hopes he will locate the ninny and then, if he sees it but can't reach it- (sometimes I guess I tease him- but only in hopes he will soothe himself back to sleep) he then will roll and scoot himself until he is again in range enough to grab it with his mouth or hands! If he can't see the ninny, then he immediately begins making a frowning face and starts to cry. He's quite versed in his quest for the ninny and dedicated, I might add. Many times I have thought I have outwitted him but his persistence always wins. The kicker though is when, like tonight, he stops nursing and looks up at me, stares for a few minutes contently and then smiles. Its enough to melt your heart a thousand times over, actually more than anything ever has before.

Okay so I lost track of my original post. I knew that would happen...I'm feeling random and environmental tonight. Where was I?

Well, I had called my mom to try to find my baby book because I am almost positive that I got my first few teeth between 4 and 6 months. The age of teething is apparently hereditary, so I'm guessing that Garrett's will come in at the same time as mine did. Of course, I should check Bryan's baby book too. I can't remember if we saw anything on his teeth or not....hmmmm.

We have found some relief for his teething with a product called 'Baby's Bliss Gripe Water'. We found the product on a fluke. While Bryan was at work one day and way before Garrett started teething, a couple from Canada was in the restaurant and they were comparing baby stories. (Bryan makes a point to talk to all parents with babies now). As they were talking, the couple recommended it to him and told him that it was a must have for colicky babies and for when they start to teeth. They were very adamant that we needed to get it because unlike other 'remedies' this one was natural. It's made with only herbal ingredients.

The next time we were out, Bryan and I searched for it. We almost gave up, when we decided to ask the pharmacist at Walmart if they carried it. The pharmacist explained that the store didn't carry it, that the pharmacy only did because so many Canadians were coming in requesting it. So they began ordering it through the pharmacy. We really lucked out because I'm not for sure how available it is here in at the beach, even in the stores that supposedly sell it.



It really is awesome! We give him only one dose and that seems to help him deal with the irritation. The first time we gave it to him, it was as if someone flipped a switch, he went from crying to laying quietly with Bryan in a matter of minutes. It was that noticeable! We have only used it for teething, but it is supposed to be good for colic, hiccups and gas pains, too. It is kinda expensive, a 4 0z. bottle costs around $11.99. But, I promise it's worth every penny!

I really don't know what we would have done, because I'm a weirdo and hate giving him even Tylenol if I don't have to. I'm one of those freaky moms that never takes medicine unless I'm in excruciating pain- I just think 'we as a society' overmedicate our bodies. In return, we breakdown our natural ability to fight off infections, colds, diseases, and what not and probably even indirectly create new bugs and viruses.

Originally, I had seen ads for the Little Remedies-Little Tummy's Gripe Water and actually thought this was what Bryan was talking about. Of course, I was wrong and boy, am I glad I was! I looked up the ingredients of their gripe water (to compare to Baby's Bliss) and it includes Methylparaben and Propylparaben!!! These are the 'preservatives' used mainly in cosmetics and some food and drugs which have been linked to hormonal issues and some types of cancer in humans. Lovely, heh? Don't even get me started on this....but, its definitely worth knowing, so you can make your own informed decisions!!

With that said and before I get off my soapbox....I thought I would leave you some information on Parabens that can be found on the Campaign for Safe Cosmetics website:

Parabens are a group of compounds widely used as antimicrobial
preservatives in food, pharmaceutical and cosmetics products, including underarm deodorants. Parabens are absorbed through intact skin and from the gastrointestinal tract and blood. U.K. researchers found measurable concentrations of six different parabens in 20 human breast tumors. The study highlights the need for more research on the potential link between products containing parabens and increased breast cancer risk. Many companies, including Compact signers, have begun phasing out parabens from their lines by marking their products as “paraben-free.” Parabens are commonly listed on product ingredient labels as methylparaben,propylparaben, ethylparaben and butylparaben.

(I don't even want to think about all the kids toys, bottles, pacifiers and baby products with parabens in them!!)

And if that isn't enough, check this video out:


If the video doesn't show up, here's the link: http://www.msplinks.com/MDFodHRwOi8vd3d3LnlvdXR1YmUuY29tL3dhdGNoP3Y9YjRpcEFibHpwZk0=

No comments: