Thursday, July 17, 2008

Nana comes to town.

It's sorta like a three ring circus when she comes to town. A SIGHT NOT TO BE MISSED. That is unless its 12:30 AM. I woke up last night as she and her friend Debi were making their way into the house. I quickly made sure Garrett was still sleeping and huddled closer to him. I was not in the mood to get up and make chitchat. Not even for my own mother. Don't get me wrong, usually I will stay up and wait for her or I will get up when she arrives, but last night I was exhausted. It just wasn't happening. This morning at 6 am I heard her rumbles again and the coffee maker grinding. (The coffee maker I thought I would use religiously after our wedding. The coffee maker that has now become void with a baby. Who needs the pick me up aroma of fresh ground coffee when you can have the fresh smell of poo at 730 every morning?) Of course, I can smell neither but that's a story for another day.

Anyway, continuing to Nana...I then hear the screen door open, then close. As quickly as I hear this, I turn around, startled as she stands gazing over us laying in the bed. She tries to contain her excitement as she gets a quick glimpse of her other, much newer grandson before her daughter quiets her down. All the while hoping, (I assure you) that his eyes will open the harder and longer she stares at him. I hurriedly shoo her away, as he needs at least 2 more hours given our rocky day yesterday. (He is still refusing to take a bottle and now is struggling with sleeping without the ninny. Bryan also had off yesterday, which on those days his schedule gets a little haywire.)

Again, back to Nana. I follow her out and we talk small talk, Garrett's daily routine, her drive down and why in the world she's up at 6:30 in the morning. Apparently, she wakes up every morning at this time regardless of what time she goes to bed. Lord, I couldn't and don't want to imagine. I have been sleep deprived enough for the last 3 and half months. Yet. it feels very good to have her here and to actually be up this early. Somehow, I feel refreshed with only five and half hours of sleep. How is this possible? I'm sure by lunchtime, I will have the makings for a migraine. If I'm lucky, maybe I will escape the sleep deprivation's torture today. That reminds me, I am going to have my hair cut today!!!! It has become my one indulgence since being pregnant. I believe this time I am going to get it all cut one length, which means it will be cut up to my ears! I have been missing my long hair and hating the layers I allowed the last few haircuts. By getting it cut one length I can let it grow back out again! Whoo-hoo! Having a short haircut makes me feel so very 'mommy'. Not that its a bad thing, but it adds to the inevitable of growing old and being frumpy. Luckily, the weight is shedding and I am starting to fit tightly back into my pre-pregnancy clothes again. Yes, I said it 4 months later I am very close to being 135 lbs. again!!!

I am so off topic. By 7:30 I come back to bed and change little man's diaper and hope for the best. Hopefully, he has at least another hour of sleep in him and I can shamelessly blog until my heart's content.

SO FAR SO GOOD.

I'm excited for what's in store for the coming week. Nana is staying unit next Wednesday, which means Bryan and I get to go out one GLORIOUS night A-L-O-N-E for the first (read 1ST) time since June and only the second (read 2ND) time since he was born. That's along time for those of you who might not know. I reiterate this is along time not going out together alone. OK, you get the idea.

I'm almost tempted to book a hotel room. Did I just type that?

On second though, we better not, least we have another bambino in the oven. I'm definitely not ready for that. Not yet anyway.

Unfortunately, a hotel room would be out of the question even if we wanted to because we are on a limited cash flow. Which means two things. 1) We will have to have dinner at the house and 2) we will have to hit only bars where we know the bartender. Now that we are in our 'old' age, this means approximately ONE bar. Shuckers. I'm sure the night will consist of us becoming bored by ten or eleven. Well, at least that's what I expect for myself. I truly wish we had saved up some money for this night and thought up something more original then going out to a bar and going drinking. It seems to me that for this momentous occasion, we should have chosen something more fun to do together, like taking a stroll on the beach (free, maybe not extremely fun but relaxing nonetheless- of course we could still do this) or visiting the local art gallery (I could hear Bryan now..."oh, how boring.") But can't we find one thing more exciting than drinking at a bar? Now amidst our dilemma in finding something of value to do on our night out, I worry we will only converse on the topic of baby. That we as a couple will have forgotten how to have a conversation with one another.

Does anyone have suggestions? Seriously, what did each of you do when you finally got your 'night' out together? Did it turn out successful or did you worry all night and talk all night about the little one?

OK by 9 am, Garrett is wide awake in the bed as I am typing, so I have decided that maybe it is time to let Nana play with him. Morning time is his best time and she deserves to see that. Naturally, I will still be able to blog. Well, that's what I thought. It seems I can't help but want to join in their play. So, I guess that's it for blogging this morning, maybe I can sneak and get a free minute later today...and just maybe I won't be all over the place.

2 comments:

C. Beth said...

For our first night out we went to dinner and then a play at a local community theatre. It was fun! You can always talk about DH's work.... I think we did. Not exactly romantic, but it's not talking about the baby. :)

Becky said...

What's really sad, is I think we've only had 3 or 4 child-free "nights out" since we had our first, 2 1/2 years ago. I think on our very first night out, we went out to dinner and then a movie. And yes, we did worry all night and talk about the baby. I even called the baby-sitter - a family member, no less - within the first hour of being gone. I'm just really not very good at following the advice to make time to reconnect as a couple. That's something we still struggle with.