Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Counting our blessings

I really want to simply share some blessings Bryan and I have regarding Garrett. I think well enough time that I say that, because too often I find myself complaining about the things we don't have or the what if's and I really need to take the time to soak in how blessed we are.

Blessing #1 :
Bryan's schedule is very grueling and at the same flexible. He goes in most days around 2pm and gets home between 11:30- 12:30 at night. I'm fairly used to this, although I do miss when I used to cook dinner every night for him. Yet, it is because of this very schedule that I am able to work part-time and we can afford not to get a babysitter. Getting a sitter or sending Garrett to daycare would be awful in my opinion. I'm not fond of the thought of anyone keeping him until he's over the age of 2 or 3, unless its family. I don't have any particular reasoning for this, I just don't like the idea. So, point is Bryan gets to keep him and I go to work for about 7 hours every other day. If we need a certain day to change, Bryan's boss is very cool about changing things around and he tries to give Bryan an extra time off that he can since he knows we have the little one.

Blessing #2:
I have a very lenient job! Although, by no means a well-paying one, it benefits us by giving us extra money on hand and doesn't leave Bryan with the sole responsibility and burden of providing for all our bills. I am able to go to work at any hour so long as I get my job done. It isn't what I want to do for the rest of my life but it works for now. I am able to work 20-25 hours with our arrangement a week. I couldn't imagine going back to work full time and leaving Garrett. (I just read about this on another blogger's page, called The Daddy Files.)

Blessing #3:
With our schedule so crazy, it's natural that Bryan and I rarely have time together, we usually are anxious to get in 'ME' time before we get to 'US' - its a must, this way we are recharged for one another and not snappy with each other. Well anyway, along with the 'ME' time, we have to get chores and tasks around the house done. Somethings, unfortunately are impossible to accomplish with baby in tow. The main loser to this equation ends up being our once beautiful lawn and flowerbeds. Before baby, Bryan maintained the yard and I the flowerbeds. Today they are a sight for sore eyes. Bryan has tried 2 times to get outside to mow, all to be beat by rain once I arrive home from work. On Monday, the 3rd attempt, the lawn mower wouldn't start. He was ready to borrow the neighbor's when it began to rain again!!! Yesterday, as I was upstairs I heard a lawn mower and thought, "Hmmm...is that coming from our yard?" I ran downstairs and went outside and there was our neighbor mowing OUR front yard for us. I ran toward him and tried to convince him otherwise, with no luck whatsoever. So, I told him he couldn't mow the backyard or Bryan would have my head! What is even more amazing, Bill is over 70 and mowing our lawn. (He's in pretty good shape, though) I felt bad but really blessed, too because they are always doing so many things for us. They are our family here and without them we would be in trouble.

Obviously, we have many many more blessings than that...but these are the ones I wanted to share at the moment. I have been 'counting my blessings' everyday since Garrett has been born. Funny what a little person does to the soul. :)

Side note: Bryan received some passes to try the trial run of 'The Red Robin Restaurant' opening up near the mall. In honor of all Bill and Agnes do for us, we are taking them along with us on Friday. Bryan and I have never been to this restaurant before, so be ready for a full review! I'm looking forward to our outing as a family!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Brook! Thanks for your blog comments -- I agree, I like blogging more than Facebook...especially, for recording/reflecting on parenthood and the daily changes of a little one! Feel free to link to our blog! I'll do the same.

Garrett (love this name!) is just precious -- I know you are loving every ounce of him!

Tell your family and Bryan hello from us. Keep the updates coming!