Wednesday, June 25, 2008

My brother is flying to Bolivia today.

Last night, my older brother called to let me know he was leaving tomorrow (today) for his missionary trip to Bolivia. I had completely forgotten, well that isn't true, the days had just sneaked up on me.
I am so thrilled that he has been taking part in missionary work. Last year, he visited Peru and helped build a water supply tower for a local orphanage. I am unsure what his work will require this time, but I do know that he mentioned that the area they are visiting in Bolivia was recently hit by horrendous flooding. I am interested to hear more and to see pictures, I tried to get him to put me on the email list so I could keep abreast of his whereabouts and happenings, but he seemed to believe they would be too busy to be able to promise me that he could. Understandable. But, I am a bit worried as much as I am excited. For this trip, he had to undergo a round of various shots- malaria and hepatitis to name a couple.

I tried to pull up a little information on the area last night and again this morning because I wanted to know more about it. Unfortunately, I was unable to find much- this is about it:

Distance: 185 Kilometers away from Trinidad A town of Movima, Cayubaba, Trinitario and Yucare origin. It is located in the center of Beni; it presents different geo-morphologic formations that range from an alluvial plain to gallery woods and mount foot. It has innumerable navigable rivers like Yacuma, Apere, Rapulo and Cavitu. It is also the reserve of the biosphere managed by Beni Biological Bio - Station. In the zone there are abundant medical plants that have called the attention of transnational laboratories.


(There's tons on the weather! Obviously it must get flooding quite a bit.)

A couple of pictures I found on the Internet:


This I suppose is the local town? (Apparently its very remote,
cellphones do not work there, but they are bringing along a satellite phone)
This one is of a Jesuit mission church that has apparently been restored.

Here's a map of Bolivia, Santa Ana is located in the Beni region.
(My brother is flying into Santa Cruz, I suppose his trek into Santa Ana should be fun!)
For a better view of the map, you can make it bigger, just visit this link.





I have to admit I am part jealous. Considering my degree is in International Studies, I always thought I would be a world traveler, helping others and as a child I used to peer up to the missionary photos on our church wall and dream of being one someday. How life throws curve balls and plans change, heh? Well, I told my brother the next time trip or maybe in a few years to keep me in mind because I would love to accompany him on one of these journeys. I think it would be very rewarding!


To you Rod, God Bless you and keep you safe. I am so very proud of all you are accomplishing. You are an amazing man. I love you.

3 comments:

C. Beth said...

That is great! My dad is in the Dominican Republic on a mission trip right now. I know it's been life-changing for him getting involved there. (He's a pastor and goes there a couple of times a year.)

C. Beth said...

P.S. I'll pray for your brother, that he'll be deeply touched there (and will be safe) and for the people he'll be helping.

Anonymous said...

Hi Brook! I love your blog -- what great reflections of motherhood and life you are recording. Tell your brother I said hello.

Keep up the posts!