Sunday, June 22, 2008

Shedding the Pounds

While I was pregnant, I gained a substantial amount of weight. Somewhere, in the range of 40 pounds. All the experts say that the maximum weight gain should be between 25-35 lbs. Of course, I thought at the time I was doing good and that an extra 10 or 15 lbs really wouldn't be a big deal... NOW I understand why the books give this recommendation. You literally shed the 25-30 lbs within 2 or so weeks of having the baby, especially if you breastfeed. Anything over this, well let's just say, it stays and is nearly impossible to get rid of!!


(At the height of my pregnancy, 2 weeks before giving birth...I'm HUGE!)


So, I started off at the beginning of my pregnancy floating somewhere between 130-135, which I had always thought was a little overweight for my build, but I was happy with it. I am especially happy with that weight now, since I am currently stuck at 143! I can't for the life of me get rid of those last pounds and I am wishing that I didn't have a DESSERT every single day of my pregnancy. Yeah, I know that's pretty extreme, it's a wonder I didn't end up with diabetes. I couldn't help myself and ICE CREAM was the only thing I craved. And, don't confuse my self indulgence with a bad diet, I did eat extremely healthy- in fact, I ate healthy all the time except for those desserts. Seriously, I loved eating-veggies, fish, fruit, you name it. I guess I just tended to overeat.



(Pre-pregnancy, well technically...I was 3 months preggers and weighed 135)


Maybe my weight gain had something to do with stopping smoking. I guess I had to replace my addiction with something else. Point is, as a result, I have this extra baggage and have practically NO clothes to fit in. I finally brokedown and bought a few things-but I keep thinking, what if come winter I still haven't lost the weight? What do I do with all my old clothes? I have always been the same size since I can remember, this is the most I have weighed since I was about 16 years old. So, I have tons of clothing that will simply have to be tossed out if I can't loss the weight. What worries me too, I have heard that your hips never go down and you can actually go up a size in clothing just because of this!! Well, I pray that isn't true because I've jumped up 2 whole sizes! I will die! Yet, it does seem that my hips are most of the issue, that and my butt. Once a week, I try on a pair of old jeans or shorts to see if anything has changed, but nothing is shedding.

Well, to try to combat this dilemma, I've sworn off my lingering cookie and ice cream addiction starting today. See problem is, with breastfeeding and a little boredom, I have been eating constantly! Obviously, I can't loss any weight if I still eat all the time! Especially if its only sweets that I am eating. That's when I remembered a place called Salad Creations, that a good friend and fellow blogger, Sarah had told me about on our first outing together since before the pregnancy. Now I am addicted to this place and I have went once a week for the last 3 weeks...the place is absolutely a MUST!!! I love it.


(Jessica, me and Sarah @ Hot Fish Club) (I was 6 weeks post pregnancy...I guess I've come a long way!)


If I had the money, its the one franchise I would cash in on! It's Subway meets Salads. The salad choices are heaven and for $6.99 you get a choice of lettuce (spring mix, spinach, romaine or iceberg) and then any and all toppings of your choice. And believe me the toppings are endless. (My favorites are artichokes and feta cheese!!!) I end up with at least 10 toppings each time (all veggies, thank you very much!) The balsamic vinegar is to die for too! I get it on the side and then with the sheer size of the salad, I have enough salad for at least 2-3 days! They have other salad choices and wraps as well, and yesterday I noticed they have started smoothies too. I haven't tried them yet, but I am sure with names like 'Berry Mangilow' they're a hit just like the salads!! :) You have to find a location and check them out!
Anyway, I am hoping by visiting once a week, maybe I can start shedding those last pounds? With the salads, some walking around the neighborhood a few times a week and a little luck its bound to work, right? Lord, I hope so or come winter, my pocketbook is in trouble.

No comments: