Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Busy as a Bee

We don't really have a nickname for Garrett, but I have started calling him Baby Bee. I'm not really for sure why, but I guess that's the funny thing about nicknames. This post isn't about nicknames, although Garrett is called all kinds of things throughout the day and the subject might make for a good post....

Anyway, when I called him that tonight as I was getting him ready for bed it made me think of how busy I have been the last two weeks. It seems that Garrett has turned a corner in development and I have reluctantly increased my hours at work. In case, you were wondering or missing me at all this is the reason. I have also been trying to organize our cluttered house and get rid of a few things. I thought I might have a chance to work on my 'side projects' at some point, but I haven't figured out how to work those in yet. I think once the clutter is gone and I finish past projects (like organizing our endless supply of pictures, getting Garrett's scrap/baby book current or painting his step stool) I will get the chance. Looks like I have a touch of ADHD, starting so many things at once. I have always said I have too many hobbies.

It doesn't look like Garrett has that problem as he keeps trying and trying at everything. He is now holding everything like a pro, rolling over and inch worm crawling! (At least that's what he looks like when he does it.) He has a tooth cropping up and loves to laugh. Oh and he has started lifting up on his arms and raising his belly. It's the cutest thing in the world! What's not to love about this baby? He makes it all so very worth it when it's put into perspective. So that's what the pictures in the post are for, a reminder if you will of how the good Lord does answer our prayers.

Like I was saying, I am now working 30 hours a week as opposed to a mere 15. We were just getting by- mainly because I have a few bills that take up what I do make and because of a loan and car payment. I hate not being more capable. The straw that broke the camel's back was the news that we have to have flood & hurricane coverage effective immediately. It seems the powers that be in the insurance world decided that anything in our county east of the waterway is in a more liable area for disaster. Which isn't really a surprise considering we are less than 2 miles from the ocean. What did surprise us is the cost of the insurance, it's going to be an extra $3000 a year. Whoever said "When it rains it pours", knew exactly what they were talking about because we have had financial misfortune back to back since our tree fell down last August. I'm hoping this is the last of it. We are still paying off Bryan's appendectomy, along with our doctor and hospital bills. Hopefully, we can pay enough of those to get a nice tax deduction.

This all leaves little free time for me and I am trying to be a big girl about it and not be too disappointed. Garrett and I are working on a new schedule. That's taking up some precious time, too. We have to be up early now regardless of Daddy's. Bryan and I have been doing good, to me that's a testament of our love and lets me know we can make it through anything! God willing I will be able to start a business of my own that generates enough income to get us ahead, allows me to be home with Garrett and let's me use my God-given talents (because, I have tons of ideas). I also hope my eczema clears up for GOOD...those are my prayers. But, the most important job I want to have is the ability to spend as much time with Garrett as possible.

2 comments:

C. Beth said...

Wow, Garrett is doing so great--very advanced! I'm sorry you have to work more--$3K a year more in insurance--OUCH!!! But it sounds like you are still enjoying him thoroughly. Good for you. :)

Becky said...

I work 30 hours a week, too, so I can sympathize. It doesn't really leave a lot of time for playing, does it? Or cleaning, or cooking, or sleeping...

Isn't it amazing how quickly they grow up? I bet it seems like just yesterday that he was a helpless newborn. And before you know it, he'll be walking and getting into all sorts of trouble. ;-)