Sunday, August 31, 2008

Yummy Oatmeal Bars

Garrett and I made these before dinner tonight. Granted they didn't get in the oven until almost 11 because someone is teething horribly (more on that at a later date), but they turned out to be very yummy. If I were you I would try them as cookies and bars, maybe half and half if you have a smaller metal baking pan. Next time I post a recipe I will be sure to add pictures, but with time and wearing a baby as constraints it never crossed my mind until now. :)

OK, here ya go...

1 cup softened butter
1 cup white sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups All purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
3 cups quick or old fashioned cooking oats

In a medium bowl, cream together both sugars and butter. Beat in eggs one at a time. Then stir in vanilla. Combine the flour, cinnamon, salt and baking soda in a separate dish and then stir into creamed mixture. Mix in oats, stirring thoroughly. Cover and chill at least 1 hour prior to baking. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease cookie sheet and roll dough into balls and place 2 inches apart on cookie sheet. Bake 8-10 minutes- Allow cookies to cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.

To make Oatmeal bars, simply press dough into bottom of non-greased metal 13 x 9 pan and bake for 30-35 minutes at 350 degrees or until lightly golden. Cool in pan on wire rack/cut into bars.

3 comments:

C. Beth said...

Mmm. Bookmarking these. I love making oatmeal cookies, and I haven't tried oatmeal bars. Sounds good. RIGHT NOW. Okay, maybe not for breakfast. Although if I'd made them last night I would be eating them right now.

Mommy Vern said...

Actually, as bars they kinda have that bran flavor to them and I had quite a few this morning with breakfast. :) Also, they're more of a cake like consistency. But very, very good.

Becky said...

I think they sound like a delicious breakfast - eggs and oatmeal, both breakfast foods, right?

Sounds yummy! I'm going to have to try these!