Thursday, August 7, 2008

Weird Weather

Tonight, when I was trying for the first time to blog (around 7 ish) a hellish thunderstorm pounded us. It was insane. We had 65 mph gusts of wind and believe me, I thought we were going to lose another tree or a tornado was going to appear. It didn't even start to rain until after the 'wind storm'. Then the wind was gone and it poured. The heat was unbearable today, I'm sure that's how this storm cropped up.

I was so afraid that I brought the boys (our dogs) in from the garage, and the four of us huddled in the bedroom hallway/closet until the storm passed by. I am petrified of tornadoes and after the one that hit the Chesapeake, VA area in April...I am not messing around. I remember too many times while living in Newport News and driving home from college in Norfolk, thinking to myself that I was in the midst of a small tornado. That's exactly what tonight seemed like. Bryan told me over the phone that Murrells Inlet received 1 and half inch hail with numerous trees down. He said it drifted out to sea rather than moving on up the coast. I think we only caught the tail-end of the storm tonight. Lucky us.

Below is a video of the April tornado in VA.


This makes the 2nd trip into the closet that we have made since Garrett's birth. Guess after you have a little one, your outlook on alot of things change. While living in Norfolk, I stayed during the 2003 Hurricane Isabel. If you're like me, you've heard that when a massive storm is going to hit, there's a dead calm that occurs right before it and believe me, it's so true. The air is also very thick. We didn't even get the brunt of that hurricane, as it made landfall at Cape Fear, NC. That's a good 4 hours from Norfolk, yet we experienced winds as high as 90 mph in the dead of night. Power was off from 11 a.m. the morning before in struck until two weeks after. Tornadoes jumped out of Hurricane Isabel and actually did most of the damage, we were lucky it didn't strike during high tide or that it wasn't dead on. Isabel was a Category 5, but made landfall as a Category 3. The Outerbanks were destroyed. I bartended in a bar being powered by a generator. It was so terribly hot. It was an insane experience.

This is a video of Hurricane Isabel in Elizabeth City, NC; about 45 mins from Norfolk- but this is what I witnessed, as well)


I have always been a thrill seeker. But, I can promise you that I will never do that again. Not with a child, anyway. Things definitely change. For the better.

Isn't it amazing what you can find on YouTube!?!

2 comments:

Becky said...

Hurricanes - at least that's one thing I don't have to worry about, living in Minnesota.

Interesting about tornadoes, though. For some reason, I thought that was a purely midwestern phenomena! I learn something every day.

Hally said...

Hally here from GlobalFluffyBum. I couldn't find a spot to email you, but I could just be moronic. :) Of course you can participate, just email me your address and I'll add you to the lineup!