Sunday, August 24, 2008

The Crunchy Lifestyle

I have always 'talked' about being green, but I never walked the walk so to speak. I did little things, but now that Garrett has come along I have really started taking the initiative to be better and greener. Therefore, I wanted to share one of our green habits.

My good friend Sarah mentioned on her blog that she finally purchased canvas bags for grocery shopping, so I thought I would share a picture of my own to demonstrate how big and sturdy they are and just how readily available they are becoming. I purchased mine before Garrett was born. I was sick of telling baggers to 'limit' all that plastic (between the double bagging and 2-3 items per bag...it was ridiculous, I was starting to think they were in co-hoots with bag makers.) I gave my spill, every single trip to the grocery store on the environmental devastation of plastic only to receive blank looks. After a few years of those stares, I finally found the bag you see to the right at Office Depot for $1.99. I bought 3- I wish I had bought even more they're so roomy and sturdy.


Like Sarah said, I feel good when I walk out of the store with them. It makes me proud to be Garrett's mother because I know I am doing a small part to make sure he has an environment to live in! To give you an idea of their size, Garrett was generous enough to use himself to show a comparison. I'm telling you, they are the brown paper bag of the future, except they can hold even more. If I haven't convinced you yet to make the change, isn't Garrett enough? Seriously though, habit is all the effort it takes to become more green in this department.



Plus just look how much stuff they hold. I had 2 big boxes of cereal, a huge tub of butter, yogurt, a container of pre-cut veggies, marshmallows, a bag of frozen spinach and frozen fruit bars in the bag from this particular excursion. I promise you aren't going to be able to get that much in one plastic or brown paper bag. When I really go shopping, you know those $150 - $200 trips, I usually end up only needing 4 bags for everything. (I have a canvas tote from my doctor that I also use to make sure I don't get any plastic from those pesky baggers!) Finally, if you haven't noticed, take a look at that ticker over on the right of my blog to see how many plastic bags are being used. I am almost certain that less than half of those are even recycled. And what's worse, plastic is useless UNLESS it is recycled and then it only has but so many lives. So come on whatcha' say, make that switch today and be an advocate for your little one and their future.


Visit Crunchy Chicken for the real deal on being green!


Would anyone like to see a once a week green day?

6 comments:

Hally said...

Hally here from GlobalFluffyBum. I know you're already in the lineup to receive the WWFluff, but I can't remember your mailing name. Sorry...blame it on the nighttime nursing. Just send me an email from your email and I'll send you all the info on the pics/journal.
Hally
http://globalfluffybum08.blogspot.com
globalfluffybum@gmail.com

Bonsack Baptist Preschool Consignment Sale said...

I can't believe it, Dave and I actually had gone out today to Ukrops and bought those canvas totes then I come home and read your blog. Ours are fancy with flowers on them and bright colors and cost only $0.99. Also at Ukrops you get 5% off your purchase for using them! I love it.

C. Beth said...

I may have to pick up some of those--they are way better than the $1 bags I've bought elsewhere (and almost always forget to use--gah).

Mommy Vern said...

Leanne- Unfortunately we don't have any Ukrops around here, not even Publix or Harris Teeter. But, even though my bags aren't pretty they get the job done!

Carol Beth- Stick them in your car by the side of the carseat (at the door) then as you get the kiddos out you visually see them. I had issues at first...it seems like it took forever for me to get accustomed to them, but finally I did. Now, if only I could get Bryan to remember them!

Becky said...

I love my canvas bags - such an easy thing to do for the environment. It took me a long time to get used to remembering them, too.

I think a once a week green day would be interesting. I am always curious to hear what other people are doing, and I've gotten a lot of good information that way!

Unknown said...

I find it so strange this idea didnt start earlier...so roomy and easy to carry inside the house too!