Saturday, August 16, 2008

Doctor Bills, Smoctor Bills

That's what I want to tell my OBgyn.

Or if I had the chance I would like to say, "No thanks, I've had enough...but thank you for asking." Because, obviously doctors these days think that your maternity and delivery charges are the dessert after giving birth.

I would like to inform them that this is certainly NOT the case. Unless it's dessert that been thrown-up. Sorry, I know that's not the mental picture you were hoping for.

So where does this angst come from you ask?

Well, even though we were told upfront that our bill would be X amount of dollars and after being harassed to pay (I kid you not) and then being threatened (again I kid you not) when I was oh, 7 months pregnant that they would drop me (this part is just a little bit my fault...seems my PREGNANT hormones were rude to the office assistant on the Friday she called, yet the doctor really had no business threatening a PREGNANT woman on a Monday morning at 8 a.m., either) I was hysterical over it, Bryan had to get on the phone I was crying so much. Luckily, there were 2 doctors in my practice or it might have been more embarrassing. Yeah, I had the very best doctors. Ever. Ever. In the whole wide world. Oh wait, no wonder I had all those birthing issues, huh? On second thought, maybe I got a really bad case of karma.

Anyway, after that fiasco when I was 7 months PREGNANT, you would think like any other red blooded American that we were done and owed nothing else to them. You would think that, right?

Wrong.

We received a new bill this past month for $451 extra dollars. Something about they had a hold on our deductible and was waiting for the hospitals charges to kick in. But it didn't. Are you sure about that? I really wish I had reserved that rude can of whip arse for this moment, but I am still learning how to pick my battles. So, I started doing the research and I added up all that we had paid up to the harassment incident plus the lump sum we payed after the harassment issue (the amount that was to supposed to settle the bill per the office manager-yes we are now speaking with the office manager). Guess what?!!? This amount is about $50 over what our insurance states we are responsible for and the amount we were originally given!

Now tell me, am I missing something?

We have to call on Monday...no, nix that...BRYAN will be calling on Monday to talk to them about the matter. I don't think I would be the best suited for the job.

I will be sure to update you guys on what goes down.

3 comments:

Bonsack Baptist Preschool Consignment Sale said...

Hey! I can't believe you have to pay more, that sucks! ANYhoo, I am back now and will be updating Emily's blog soon. We have been computerless. Feel free to add our blog to your list!!!! BTW how did you get a new background. I am so still learning.
Tell Bryan to give 'em hell and maybe before #2 you might want to find a new practice!

Becky said...

Good luck! I had similar issues with my insurance company - with BOTH kids' births. It took 9 months, each time, to get the bills straightened out and paid correctly. Annoying. That sort of thing is the last thing you need or want to be dealing with when you have a new baby.

Unknown said...

that is still one of my favorite pregancy stories...makes me giggle ever time.
But I know what you mean about medical bills. We just got Andy's whole blood clot thing taken care of...after being on the phone with them for almost 45 mins!

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.