Saturday, August 2, 2008

What a girl wants

I want my body back. Pretty peas, with sugar on top. I promise to take care it from now on.

I have come to the realization that my body will never be the same as it was before baby. It's really simply a tiny fact in the scheme of things and I accept that. What I don't accept is how broken I feel. I mean I thought pregnancy was uncomfortable, but now I think I can count my ailments on both hands and probably could continue to my toes. Some are of a private and unnecessary to disclose nature and others are the typical 'my belly is now jelly' type.

Yet, considering that a life is created within your womb and pushed out a very small area tends to remind me that maybe that's why I have ailments that perplex me, birth surely does a wacky number to the female body. I recommend that anyone contemplating babies, make sure they are in excellente health before even attempting it, otherwise you might be broadcasting your aches and pains 11 months later all over the Internet, with absolutely no shame.

Here's my top ten aftermath of childbirth: Which most likely are related, but are in no particular order.

10. Eczema and the inability to wear my wedding or engagement ring
9. No sense of smell (I sure hope the baby doesn't smell)
8. A corn in the same toe on both feet
7. Horrible sciatica down my legs
6. Misaligned back (Yes, that's me walking hunched over)
5. An ever-expanding midsection
4. Loss of memory
3. Unexplained bruises
2. Cracked and dry lips
1. Fill in the blank because it will probably be on my list tomorrow

And I didn't even list the most annoying and painful one of them all. Be thankful I didn't share that one.

Thanks for sympathizing in advance. Lord knows, I need it.

6 comments:

Becky said...

I had the sciatica/back pain too, which started during my first pregnancy. I would highly recommend seeing a chiropractor! It helped me sooo much. It took a few months for it to start making a difference, but I hardly ever have issues anymore. And even throughout my second pregnancy, whenever the issues would start up again, I'd go to the chiropractor and have almost instant relief. (And if you get a referral from your primary care doctor, your insurance might even cover it!)

And if you haven't already, you should have your doctor check your thyroid. It's pretty common for thyroid issues postpartum, and a few of your symptoms could be related to that.

Other than that, all I can offer is sympathy. I hope some of your issues are related to wacky postpartum hormones, because that would mean they should eventually resolve themselves. Hopefully?

C. Beth said...

:( Man, NO FUN! You got quite unlucky with all that crap! I have had a bit of eczema during both pregnancies and after having both babies. I know with Ana it cleared up after a number of months though I was still breastfeeding, so hopefully it's temporary for you too. In the meantime, Eucerin works wonders for me, on face and body, when my skin is extra-dry and when I get eczema patches. After Ana was born I discovered Arbonne skin care. It took care of the dry skin on my face--awesome stuff. But really pricey, so I didn't stick with it. Eucerin is not as fancy or natural but it works and is quite inexpensive considering how long a big ol' tub lasts.

Mommy Vern said...

Thanks ladies for your suggestions. I know pregancy has brought both of these back, I just hope they will go away soon!!!

Carol Beth- Unfortunately, the eczema is something I have had since a child. Lucky me. I have used every type of cream possible and then some. I have prescriptions out the ying yang. Nothing cures, just makes it more tolerable. Problem is at night, if I have wore my ring- the itch is insane and I rub my fingers raw. I have learned to not to do this so much anymore. It comes and goes, usually related to my job. I was a bartender/server for years. Yet, it decided to come back with the pregnancy this time. It has stayed only on my hands and I am praying I can get it under control by resizing my rings.

Becky- I have also had the dreaded back pain since I was 22. It too comes and goes. I have to watch everything I lift because that's how mine orginated. If I am not careful my back will act up just by sitting too long in the same position. I go off and on to the chiropractor, insurance has covered some but not enough to go once a week (which is what I need). I went around my 6 & 7th month of pregnancy and should have kept going, as Garrett's head was turned sideways on the way out and I am almost certain my misalignment had something to do with this. :)

I will be sure to check out the thyroid thing though...I'm curious to see the symptoms. I was thinking maybe I had a vitamin deficieny?

Anonymous said...

Hey Brooky,
I'll join the pity party of physical complaints! I want my stomach back! I asked the OB if I'd ever have abdominal muscles again, and he said basically only if I spent a ridiculous amount of time on it. Oh, and I used that stupid stretch mark cream every day during my pregnancy. Didn't have a single mark until the last two weeks of pregnancy, and now they're here for good it seems.

I've also been a bit scatterbrained. And I have so much more weight to lose. Of the 70 I gained, I've already lost 40 lbs, but that's not enough to fit into any of my old clothes.
Sigh.

Mommy Vern said...

Dawn,

Yah! So glad you're on and joining me in the pity department. As for the abs, I am all flab even as I lose weight. I was lucky with stretch marks (good genes, I suppose) Luckily, breastfeeding is helping melt the pounds though. ;) And yours will come off, I am finally starting to get back into my old clothes...I still have another 5 or so. You could use 25 lbs of what you still have- you should say I have 25 to go! How was the birthday??

Mommy Vern said...

Opps I meant you only need to lose 15 pounds...