Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Cuatro Meses

Yep, that's right our big boy is O-fficially four months old. The doctor's appointment early this morning confirmed it for us. He is considered a big baby now and I mean this literally!

He weighed in at 14 lbs and 15 ounces...I'm sure by now it's more like 15 lbs, but who's really counting anyway? He has doubled his weight, he was born weighing 7 lbs and 1 ounce. I'm so proud of my little guy. His height is impressive, he's measuring just under 26 inches, which is no surprise since his daddy is a tall fella. His doc congratulated me on doing a good job breastfeeding, which made me a very happy mommy.

We stuck with our original vaccination schedule that my sister-in-law shared with us. You can check that post out by following this link. I have posted his schedule below and the AAP recommended schedule, so you can compare the two. Garrett's pediatrician was awesome about having an alternative schedule which was nice to see. Anyway, Garrett only received 2 shots/2 vaccines. Although, I'm not sure if I believe this will prevent any autism or anything like that, I do feel better and safer knowing he isn't receiving so many things at one time. To me, it just seems like overkill on the number they give them each time. He still managed his pouty face and a short cry with only two shots. Imagine 2 in each hip! Yikes!

Garrett's Immunization Schedule

No Daycare/In Daycare

2 months DtaP/HIB ******** DtaP/Prevnar
4 months DtaP/HIB ******** DtaP/Prevnar
6 months DtaP/HIB ******** DtaP/Prevnar
9 months IPV/HBV ******** IPV/HIB
12 months IPV/HBV ******** IPV/HIB
15 months IPV ********IPV/HIB
18 months HBV/Trihibit ***** HBV/Trihibit
24 months Prevnar ******* HBV/Prevnar
26months MMR ****** HBV/MMR
36 months Varivax ******* Varivax

This is what all that lingo stands for:

DTAP = diphtheria, tetanus, and acellular pertussis

HIB = Haemophilus Influenza type B

IPV = Inactivated polio virus

HBV = Hepatitis B virus

TriHibit = DtaP and HIB

Prevnar = invasive strep pneumonia

MMR = measles, mumps, rubella

Varivax = chickenpox live virus


AAP / ACIP Immunization Schedule

2 months Prevnar / HIB / HBV / DTaP / IPV
4 months Prevnar / HIB / HBV / DTaP / IPV
6 months Prevnar / HIB / DTaP
9 months HBV
12 months Varivax / Prevnar
15 months MMR
18 months TriHibit / IPV



Garrett has been a little cranky, but overall is handling the shot pretty well with the addition of some Tylenol and a few naps. In the interim, he decided to perfect his giggling (we've been working on it, he's getting pretty darn good!) Overall, today hasn't been that bad. I hope the rest of his vaccines go this smoothly. :)

The doc gave us the A.O.K on solids, too. This simply makes a dilemma for me....I'm thinking I may start rice cereal soon and then wait on the 'baby food' until next month. What do you guys think?Do you think this is detrimental? I've read all the hype on the appropriate time...but is it really bad for him in the long run....so long as I watch for allergies?

2 comments:

Becky said...

If your doctor gave you the go-ahead, it's probably fine to start slowly. When my first was 4 months old, the pediatrician said normally she recommends waiting until 5 months for rice cereal, but because of his size (he was a big boy too at that age) that she was giving the go-ahead to start early. I waited a couple more weeks, and started the rice cereal just before 5 months. I think I mentioned this before, but he totally stopped sleeping, so I backed off solid foods until closer to six months. But plenty babies don't have any trouble with solid foods.

I guess I would look at his readiness cues - like if he's grabbing at your food, if his tongue thrust reflex appears to be gone, etc. If he looks eager & ready to start, I'd say go for it.

C. Beth said...

I would just see if he has the "readiness signs--oh, just saw that Becky said that too! You can find more signs of readiness on kellymom.com

You're doing a great job, Mama!